The Academy at Revolution Dance Theatre extends the magic of ballet to those who need it most. Our purpose is simple: through routines that boost physical, mental, and social well-being, we equip future leaders with the tools they need for success today.
Benchmarks for each level in the Academy focus on technical progress, personal development, and readiness for advancement:
**Level 1: Introduction to Ballet**
Focus: Establishing Ballet Basics
- Basic understanding of ballet terminology and positions.
- Demonstrate proper posture and alignment.
- Develop basic coordination and musicality.
- Focus on developing natural turnout awareness.
- Develop the ability to follow instructions and work in a structured class environment.
1. Ballet Positions Practice: Students practice first, second, third, and fourth positions at the barre, focusing on correct placement and alignment of the feet and arms.
2. Alignment and Posture Drill: Exercises emphasizing standing tall, maintaining neutral spine, and engaging core muscles.
3. Turnout Exploration: Activities that develop awareness of natural turnout through gentle stretching and seated exercises.
**Level 4: Intermediate Technique**
Focus: Enhancing Technical Precision
- Proficiency in more complex ballet movements and combinations.
- Strong control over turnout and alignment.
- Develop increased flexibility and extension.
- Demonstrate improved control in pirouettes and jumps.
- Exhibit a growing ability to express emotions through movement.
- Introduction to more intricate allegro work.
1. Battement Tendu and Glissade Combination: Combining tendu exercises with glissade jumps, emphasizing coordination and dynamic transitions.
2. Adagio Sequence: Developing control and balance through slow, controlled adagio exercises.
3. Multiple Pirouettes Practice: Introducing multiple pirouette rotations, focusing on alignment, spotting, and stability.
**Level 2: Fundamentals of Ballet**
Focus: Building Technical Foundation
- Mastery in fundamental positions and movements.
- Stronger emphasis on maintaining proper turnout, alignment. and their application.
- Show improvement in flexibility and range of motion.
- Demonstrate increased focus and discipline during class.
- Introduction to simple barre exercises.
1. Plié Series: Combination of demi-pliés and grand pliés at the barre, focusing on maintaining turnout and alignment while bending the knees.
2. Tendu and Dégagé Combinations: Incorporating footwork exercises that emphasize turnout and proper leg extension.
3. Port de Bras Practice: Integrating arm movements with tendu exercises, coordinating upper body with lower body movements.
**Level 5: Advanced Training**
Focus: Polishing Technique and Artistry
- Mastery of complex ballet movements including multiple turns and jumps.
- Demonstrate strong control and balance in adagio and allegro work.
- Showcase improved artistry and stage presence.
- Begin to develop an understanding of partnering work.
- Mastery of complex Ballet movements and techniques.
- Proficiency in complex allegro and adagio combinations.
- Focus on enhancing artistry and musicality.
1. Grand Allegro Variations: Complex combinations of jumps like entrechat six, sissonne battu, and tour jeté, emphasizing height, control, and timing.
2. Adagio with Expression: Incorporating emotional expression into adagio exercises, focusing on fluidity and conveying the music's mood.
3. Variations from Classic Repertoire: Introducing short variations from classic ballets, allowing students to embody character and style.
**Level 3: Building Technique**
Focus: Developing Strength and Control
- Mastery of fundamental positions and movements.
- Exhibit improved control over turnout and alignment.
- Develop basic strength and balance.
- Showcase improved memorization of choreography and combinations.
- Strong focus on maintaining proper turnout and alignment.
- Progression to more complex barre exercises.
1. Rond de Jambe Combination: Incorporating rond de jambe à terre and en l'air exercises, focusing on fluidity and alignment.
2. Developpé Series: Building leg strength and flexibility through developpé exercises at the barre.
3. Pirouette Preparations: Introducing preparatory exercises for pirouettes, focusing on spotting, arm coordination, and balance.
**Level 6: Pre-Professional Preparation**
Focus: Advancing Technical Proficiency
- Mastery of intricate Ballet movements and variations.
- Strong control over turnout, alignment, and coordination.
- Introduction to more partnering work.
- Proficiency in advanced turns, jumps, and combinations.
- Exhibit a high level of control and technical precision.
- Showcase strong artistry and interpretive skills.
- Develop a strong work ethic, resilience, and focus.
1. Advanced Pirouette Combinations: Incorporating various arm positions, multiple turns, and direction changes in pirouette combinations.
2. Grand Allegro Variations: Complex and extended allegro sequences, showcasing control and artistry in longer combinations.
3. Partnering Fundamentals: Introducing basic partnering exercises, lifts, and supported turns to develop collaborative skills.
**Level 7: Pre-Professional Mastery**
Focus: Mastery of Technique and Expression
- Mastery of intricate and demanding ballet techniques.
- Exceptional control over turnout, alignment, and dynamics.
- Showcase exceptional artistry, stage presence, and expression.
- Exhibit advanced partnering skills and collaborative abilities.
- Demonstrate strong leadership, discipline, and dedication.
- Mastery of advanced ballet variations
- Mastery of partnering work and group formations.
1. Variations from Full-Length Ballets: Presenting longer and more challenging variations from renowned ballets, incorporating advanced technique and storytelling.
2. Extended Adagio Sequences: Complex adagio sequences that demand exceptional control, expressiveness, and sustained balance.
3. Advanced Partnering Work: Complex partnering exercises, lifts, and coordinated movements that showcase mastery of technique and collaboration.